Beginners Guide to Bluehost Web Hosting
Whether you a beginner or a veteran blogger, you want a web hosting service that is fast and reliable for the sake of your users. You also want a service that doesn’t intimidate with all the technical jargon.
This is a complete beginners guide to signing up and setting up Bluehost hosting for your wordpress website.
Why Choose Bluehost Web Hosting Services
Bluehost is one of the best web hosts out there as they are officially recommended by WordPress. They are good for beginners because of the quality of service and cost effectiveness.
If you already have a blog and are wondering “How do I add a WordPress site to Bluehost ?” Or if you are just starting out, you needn’t worry. Bluehost is actually a WordPress expert and they have streamlined to the sign up process to be user friendly for people of all level of technical know how.
Can you trust Bluehost? Yes you can. It is one of the largest web hosting service providers currently hosting well over 2 million domain names
Competitive Price Plans
Bluehost hosting packages are competitively priced and they include the Basic, Plus, Choice plus and Pro plans with different pricing based on a 12 months, 24 months or 36 months packages. As a beginner blogger I recommend the Basic plan to get you going and the upgrade when you find your footing.. However, if you already have a blog and looking to switch to Bluehost, I highly recommend the Choice plus plan.
The price plans are designed in a way that saves you money when you choose a longer duration ie a 24 or 36 month plan.
So I carried out an analysis on the price plan of Bluehost hosting packages and I came to the following conclusions.
You don’t necessarily save money when you choose a longer duration.
The 12 months plan saves you more money for the Basic, Plus and Choice plus plans.
Signing up for a 36 months package only makes sense if you want to the Pro plan.
Here is a comprehensive analysis to help you make decision.
2. Free Domain Name
One of the perks of signing up for Bluehost is the added bonus of a free domain name. If you are yet to acquire a domain name, here are few things to consider when registering a domain name. If you have decided what you want your domain name to be go on and check if it is available
If you already have a domain name or/and a blog, you can still register for hosting and get the free domain name for another project.
3. Technical support
Bluehost has great technical support that will gladly help with any WordPress site issues you may have. Sometimes I’m unable to articulate and use proper web design jargon when dealing with support but they always helped find and sort out any technical problems. You can get support through email, chat or by phone.
4. Daily Site Back up
In the case of a site crash, Bluehost backs up a version of your site daily. You may even have changed the design of your site and decide you don’t like the look of it. It can restored back to a backed up version. This feature is available on the Choice plus and Pro plans.
5. Free SSL Certificate
Every Bluehost package has a free SSL certificate attached which gives web users the peace of mind that their data is secure.
6. Automatic WordPress Installation
When you complete the purchase of your hosting, Bluehost automatically installs WordPress for you. The process of installation is straightforward and at all intimidating.
7. Bluehost Money Back Guarantee
For any reason if you feel Bluehost has not met your expectations, you can cancel and get a full refund of hosting fees paid. This applies to hosting only as you may have to pay a fee to retain the domain name.
How to Sign up for Bluehost
Go to the Bluehost homepage. Click here → Bluehost. Click on the green button that says “Get started”
Choose the duration of your plan. You do make fair bit of savings by choosing 36 months but only if you are choosing the Pro plan. Otherwise, just choose the 12 month duration for any plan you decide on. I recommend the Plus or Choice plus plan.
If you have a domain name in mind, type in the box titled”create a new domain”.
Have one already? The type it the box on the right. You will need to point your domain name since if it is hosted by a registrar other than Bluehost.
However, if you haven’t decided on a domain name, you can carry on with the sign up process and claim your free domain name later on. Just Click “I ll create my domain later”
Now you will enter your personal details including your email address. Make sure the email address you use is one you regular access to because that is where your registration and login credentials will be sent.
Remember to check one last time, your package information. The duration of 36 months is pre-selected so make sure you choose the one you want.
Also make sure to uncheck the add-ons at the end if you don’t want them.
Enter your payment information and then complete the transaction.
Congratulation! You have just signed up for Bluehost Webhosting. The next step is to create your site on the Bluehost dashboard.
How to Install WordPress on Bluehost
- Log in to the Bluehost Dashboard. Click Mysites > Create new site.
- Enter the site name and tag line
- Choose a domain name
- Click create site.
Frequently Asked Questions about Bluehost
- Is Godaddy better than Bluehost? Not necessarily. Godaddy is one of the best when it comes to registering domain names but not hosting. I would say Bluehost is better because a lot of the free features on Bluehost are paid add-ons on Godaddy.
- How many sites can I host on Bluehost? You can host unlimited sites on Bluehost if you sign up for the Choice, Choice plus and Pro packages
- Is Bluehost good for beginners? Yes it is. From the sign up process to the website installation process, Bluehost dispenses with as much technical jargon as possible. So, yes it is very beginner friendly.
- How much Does Bluehost cost per month? It depends on the hosting plan chosen and also the duration of the plan. Bluehost has 12, 24 or 26 months plans. During the sign up process, choose your plan and the duration, the annual cost will be shown. You can then work out how much it will cost per month.
- Is Bluehost a good host? Bluehost provides hosting for around 2 million websites and is officially recommended by wordpress. I have used and still use wordpress, so I would definitely recommend Bluehost as good host.
- Which Bluehost plan is the best? All the plans are great but it depends on what your needs are. If you are starting out and want to cover all bases, I would suggest the Choice or Choice plus plans. If you are beginner and budget is tight, you can start out with the basic plan and then upgrade.
- How much does Bluehost domains cost? When you sign up to Bluehost, you receive a free domain name. However, if you need to get another domain name. Use this free Bluehost domain name checker tool to find the right domain name and obtain it before someone else does.
- Do I own the Bluehost domain I register through Bluehost? Yes you do. When you sign up for hosting and you get a free domain name, the domain name is yours. If you decide to switch hosting, you can take your domain name with you to your new host
- Can I pay Bluehost hosting Monthy? The answer is no. When you sign up, the monthly costs are shown but the hosting is billed annually. If you are looking for very reliable hosting provider that bills monthly, check out HostGator.