Ginger molasses cookies are very popular during christmas but that should not be the case.
These cookies are sweet, full of flavour and with this recipe you get a little bit of heat (thanks to the chilli).
With its characteristic crispy edges and soft chewy centre, its popularity is down to how simple it is to make.
Ginger Molasses Cookies With Chill : Ingredients
- Sugar: Use dark brown or a mix of brown and white sugar. Reserve some sugar to roll your cookie dough balls in.
- Butter: Room temperature butter (unsalted). If using salted butter, reduce the salt by half
- Flour: I used plain flour. You may use whole wheat flour as a substitute
- Egg: One large at at room temperature
- Spices: Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, All spice
- Chilli: To give that extra heat. Goes well with the other spices.
- Molasses: Adds the dark rich caramel flavour that complements the spices
How to Make Chilli Ginger Molasses Cookies
- In a bowl, add flour, clove, ginger, cinnamon, all spice, chilli, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- Cream the sugars and butter until slightly pale for about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix in thoroughly.
- Pour in the molasses and mix.
- Add half of the flour and spices into the wet mix and combine. Add the other half and mix in.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for at leat 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or a teaspoon, scoop the dough and roll into a ball.
- Fill a small plate with some granulated sugar. Coat each ball in sugar and place on a baking tray. Place the balls 10cm apart on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10mins. The cookies with form cracks on the top by now. Remove from the oven and le it cool for a further 7 mins on the baking tray before removing to cool on a rack.
Storing your Ginger Molasses Cookies
Here are some cookie recipes you might like