I am currently trying to stick to bringing my own lunch to work. I tend to have unhealthy options if I have to buy lunch.
Plus I need to have something sweet to balance out the savoury, so you guessed it. A chocolate bar and a fizzy drink in addition to the main.
My lunch time sweet craving fix is an Oatmeal banana bread. It is really more suited for breakfast but it’s also a great treat for the lunch box.
This Oatmeal banana bread is mildly sweet with most the sweetness coming from bananas.
The addition of oatmeal adds some fibre while keeping the structure of the cake without making it stodgy.
- Oatmeal: Regular oatmeal will do. Rather than add it to the batter in its plain form. I used a coffee grinder to turn it into oat flour. It bakes better and enhances the texture of the cake, making it less chewy.
- Flour: Sieve the flour and the baking powder together. Press through any clumps of baking powder before adding to the batter.
- Banana: Use ripe bananas. Very ripe ones can also be used although some people may not like the slight alcohol smell from overripe bananas.
- Sunflower oil : I used sunflower oil but you can use rapeseed oil, groundnut oil or similar. However, you may substitute oil for butter for a richer taste.
- Eggs : Room temperature eggs should be used. The recipe calls for 3 medium eggs. You may use 2 large eggs instead.
- Sugar : White or brown sugar will do fine. Preferably brown.
- Milk : Room temperature milk should be used. Either semi-skimmed or whole milk
- Baking Powder : 3 tsp of baking powder was used but the recipe it was adapted from called for 2 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of baking soda. You may opt for either.
How To Make Oatmeal Banana Bread
- Lightly butter and flour a loaf pan. If you have parchment paper, lightly butter and cover with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 325F, 160C or gas mark 3.
- In a bowl, combine your dry ingredients. First grind the oats finely. Then sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add salt, sugar, cinnamon and oat flour.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas, add eggs (beaten), oil and milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan. Sprinkle a handful of oats and brown sugar on top of the batter and bake for 1 hour.
- After one hour, insert a wooden skewer to ensure it’s done. If not bake for a further 5 -10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then take it out to cool completely.
Oatmeal Banana Bread
- 240 g Plain flour
- 25 g Oats
- 50 g Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 3 Bananas Ripe and mashed
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 61 g Milk
- 61 g Oil
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly butter and flour the pan
- Grind oats finely using a coffee grinder.
- Preheat oven to 325F/160C/Gas mark 3
- Into a bowl, sieve flour. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar, oats
- Mash bananas in another bowl, add beaten eggs, milk, oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter in the loaf tin. Sprinkle some oats and sugar on top
- Bake for 1 hour
- Let it cool for 30 minutes in the tin. Take it out and let it cool completely on a rack.
This recipe was adapted from kitchen counter chronicles. The original recipe had chocolate chips, butter and baking soda in it.
Here is another oatmeal recipe you might like : Banana Oatmeal Apple Traybake
Happy Baking !